The Community Standards Department is comprised of three divisions, Neighborhood Services, Fire Inspections, and Housing Services. These divisions:
- Protect the health, safety, and welfare of the community through enforcement of the Minnesota Uniform Fire Code, Blaine Code of Ordinances, and Blaine Zoning Ordinances.
- Eliminate the spread of blight, protect property values, and ensure safe, healthy neighborhoods through enforcement of community standards initiated with complaints and proactive neighborhood observations.
- Ensure safe commercial, industrial, and residential structures through a comprehensive fire prevention program involving plan review, inspections, and investigations.
- Promote voluntary home improvements, code compliance, and fire safety through education programs, incentive programs, and housing rehabilitation loans.
- Ensure that the rental units within Blaine are safe and well maintained through the rental licensing and inspection program.
- Support the volunteer fire department through emergency response, pre-incident plans, reduction of fire calls, and installation of automatic extinguisher systems.