Make a Difference
To achieve a clean Mississippi River and clean waters in our local area of Blaine, citizen action needs to come from you. Even in Blaine, your efforts can make a difference. The Mississippi River is not far; what we do in our yards, driveways and neighborhoods will eventually affect it.
By becoming a watershed watcher, you can help minimize pollutants in our waters.
In your yard you can:
- Landscape for cleaner stormwater runoff. Allow water from roofs and driveways to drain into yards where it can be absorbed.
- Reduce the amount of concrete or asphalt in your yard.
- Don't dump anything into the streets or down street drains.
In your neighborhood you can:
- Participate in a river clean up or organize a project to paint your street drains to read, "Don't dump waste / Drains to Mississippi River."
- Become an advocate for clean water and encourage neighbors to do their part.
Call your watershed district – RCWD at 763-398-3070 or CCWD at 763-755-0975 – to learn about other programs for clean water.