- Community Development
- Building Inspection
- Residential Construction Permits
- Accessory Building/Shed
Accessory Buildings / Sheds
- This permit type is for accessory buildings/sheds up to 200 square feet only.
- For accessory structures larger than 200 square feet, please use the Garage Permit type.
Garages, Carports, Pole Barns
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
Please review the following information packets:
The following documents need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
- Diagram or Drawing of the
- Site Survey
Showing location of proposed shed, house, garage, and any existing sheds.
- Park Management Approval Letter (if applicable)
Accessory buildings in a manufactured home park require a park management approval letter that will need to be uploaded.
Create an Account
Please Note:Contractors applying for permits on behalf of a homeowner must setupan iMS Account and a Pro Accountbefore continuing with the permit process.
Are you a new user?
If no, continue to step 3 on the left.
If yes, create an account.
Contractors applying for a permit on behalf of a homeowner must setup a User Account and then a Pro Account.
Homeowners doing your own work may setup a User account only.
New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Creating a New User in iMS and iMS TipsHaving trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available here, iMS account creation information.
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
Creating a Pro Account in iMS
Having trouble creating a PRO account? Detail instructions are available:
Once you have gathered the necessary documents, you are ready to begin the online application process.
How to Submit a Residential Building Application in iMS
Please note the following:
- Once the application is started, the system will not allow you to go back to a previous page, you must continue through the entire application.
- Once you have completed and uploaded all required documents, a review page allows you to go back and edit any part of the application.
- Any question or upload with a red asterisk (*) is required.
Review and Payment Process
Review time is up to 15 business days.Please note, during the busy construction months and with the online software launch, delays may occur.
After completion of the permit review, an email with permit cost and payment instructions will be sent.
- After receipt of payment, plans will be emailed, and work and inspection scheduling can start.
Schedule an Inspection
- When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
- Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, the name of contractor doing the work is needed.
Login to IMS Account and go to your dashboard.
On your Dashboard, go to My Inspections.
- A list of required inspections can be viewed along with the instructions on how to schedule.
- Accessory buildings/sheds in a manufactured home park require a park management approval letter.
- Smaller accessory buildings/sheds must meet zoning requirements.
- Accessory buildings larger than 200 square feet are considered a detached garage.
- Zoning requirements differ between neighborhoods and may include a maximum detached accessory building size or prohibit detached accessory buildings. Call the inspections department at 763-785-6170 to verify requirements.