Any partition, structure, wall, or gate erected as a divider marker, barrier, or enclosure and located along the boundary or within the required yard. For the purpose of this section, a fence shall not include naturally growing shrubs, trees or other foliage.
A boundary fence is any fence parallel to the property line.
A privacy fence is any fence used for screening of outdoor living areas and for enclosures where restricted visibility or protection are desired.
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
Locate Your Property Stakes
How to Locate Your Property Markers
Please review the information packets:
Information and Documents Needed
to Submit a Permit
The following documents need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
- Site Survey
Showing location of proposed fence along with the height on the site survey.
- Conditional Use Permit (fences 7 feet and over)
- Conditional Use Permit
For the most current fees related to your project, view the Fee Schedule (PDF).
To schedule an inspection follow the directions in Step 5 Schedule an Inspection.
Allow 3 to 4 business days for scheduling inspections and during the busy construction time please allow more time.
Please Note:Contractors applying for permits on behalf of a homeowner must setupan iMS Account and a Pro Accountbefore continuing with the permit process.
Are you a new user?
If no, continue to step 3.
Please note, homeowner's
If yes, create an account.
New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Having trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available here, iMS account creation information.
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
Having trouble creating a PRO account? Detail instructions are available:
Fences Over 7 Feet in Height
Fences Up to 7 Feet in Height
- When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
- Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, the name of contractor doing the work is needed.
Login to IMS Account and go to your dashboard.
On your Dashboard, go to My Inspections.
- A list of required inspections can be viewed along with the instructions on how to schedule.
- It is the homeowner’s responsibility to verify compliance with the homeowner’s association requirements prior to construction the fence.
- See Fence Information Packet for height limitations. Some residential developments have additional requirements regarding locations and materials of fences or may prohibit fences entirely.