Garages, Carports, Pole Barns
A maximum of two accessory buildings are permitted including attached garage, detached garage, and shed. Some residential developments do not permit detached garages or sheds. Please call 763-717-2748 for your subdivision's zoning requirements. Please also check with your homeowner’s association if you have one.
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
Please review the information packets related to your construction project.
Additional information packets related to your construction project are available below in the Documents section.
Information and Documents Needed
to Submit a Permit
The following documents need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
- Set of Building Plans
(pole barn plans are required to be signed by MN Structural Engineer)
Plans must include:
- Floor Plan
- Cross section and elevations
- Garage size
- Location and window size and door openings
- Size of headers over all window and door openings
- Size, spacing and direction of rafters or trusses
- Rafter/truss connection method
- Size and spacing of studs
- Grade and species of lumber to be used
- Type of roof and wall sheathing used
- Information on siding and roofing and any other pertinent information
For the most current fees related to your project, view the Fee Schedule (PDF).
Inspections will typically include the following. Although, depending on your project, more inspections may be added or removed.
- Electrical RI and Final
To schedule an inspection follow the directions in Step 5 Schedule an Inspection.
Allow 3 to 4 business days for scheduling inspections and during the busy construction time please allow more time.
Please Note:Contractors applying for permits on behalf of a homeowner must setupan iMS Account and a Pro Accountbefore continuing with the permit process.
Are you a new user?
If no, continue to step 3 on the left.
If yes, create an account.
New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Creating a New User in iMS and iMS TipsHaving trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available here, iMS account creation information.
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
Creating a Pro Account in iMS
Having trouble creating a PRO account? Detail instructions are available:
How to Submit a Residential Building Application in iMS
- When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
- Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, the name of contractor doing the work is needed.
Login to IMS Account and go to your dashboard.
On your Dashboard, go to My Inspections.
- A list of required inspections can be viewed along with the instructions on how to schedule.
- Electrical permits are a separate permit. You can apply for an electrical permit at ims.dli.mn.gov.
- Soil corrections must be designed by a licensed professional engineer, or provide an engineer’s soil report to verify minimum bearing capacity of 1,500 PSF prior to issuance of the permit.
- Homeowners are responsible for locating and exposing their property line corner stakes to verify correct building setbacks prior to inspections.
How to Locate Your Property Stakes
- The combined total square footage of attached garages and detached garages cannot exceed 1,000 square feet or as permitted in the residential development.
- Expected plan review time is 5 to 7 business days. During the busy construction time it may be longer.
Residential New Homes |
Certificate of Occupancy |
Residential Online Permits
Phone: 763-785-6170, Option 1
Or contact any of the staff members above with the contact information provided.