Garages, Carports, Pole Barns
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
Please review the following information packets:
The following documents need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
- Set of Building Plans
(pole barn plans are required to be signed by MN Structural Engineer)
Plans must include:
- Floor Plan
- Cross section and elevations
- Garage size
- Location and window size and door openings
- Size of headers over all window and door openings
- Size, spacing and direction of rafters or trusses
- Rafter/truss connection method
- Size and spacing of studs
- Grade and species of lumber to be used
- Type of roof and wall sheathing used
- Information on siding and roofing and any other pertinent information
Are you a new user?If no, continue to step 3.
If yes, create an account.
New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Having trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available here, IMS account creation information.
- When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
- Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, the name of contractor doing the work is needed.
- Login to IMS Account and go to your dashboard.
- On your Dashboard, go to My Inspections.
- A list of required inspections can be viewed along with the instructions on how to schedule.
- Soil corrections must be designed by a licensed professional engineer, or provide an engineer's soils report to verify minimum bearing capacity of 1,500 PSF prior to issuance of the permit.