1. Step 1 - Review and Prepare
  2. Step 2 - Create an Account
  3. Step 3 - Apply
  4. Step 4 - Review and Payment
  5. Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection

Review and Prepare

Building permits are required for replacing fixtures, water heater, dishwasher, and lawn irrigation to name a few.

Information and Documents Needed
to Submit a Permit

  • No documentation is needed for a residential plumbing permit.


For the most current fees related to your project, view the Fee Schedule (PDF).


Inspections typically include the following, but depending on your project, inspections may be added or removed.

  • Plumbing RI & Plumbing Final

To schedule an inspection follow the directions in Step 5 Schedule an Inspection.

Allow 3 to 4 business days for scheduling inspections and during the busy construction time please allow more time.

General Information

  • If the homeowner is hiring a contractor, the contractor must pull the permit.
  • A permit is required for lawn irrigation.  The person or plumber installing the backflow valve will need to pull the permit.
  • Considering MN Statute 326B.197, only plumbing contractors with a mechanical bond may do work on gas piping (except simple reconnections without new fittings or piping).
  • Minn. Stat. 326B.197 summarizes the bond requirement for persons contracting to do gas, heating, ventilation, cooling, air conditioning, fuel burning, or refrigeration work. For these scopes of work, only the $25,000 mechanical bond is required, there is no license for mechanical/HVAC work in Minnesota. However, the City of Blaine has a mechanical license that requires a mechanical bond, proof of insurance and a $70.00 fee.
  • Building permits in the City of Blaine for new homes and townhomes are all-inclusive which means they include Plumbing and HVAC work (separate plumbing and mechanical permits are not required). If any gas work is to be done by the plumber (including a gas piping to a gas water heater), the general contractor will be asked list the plumbing contractor as the Gas Installer in the contacts field.  For the general contractor to list the plumber as a gas installer, the plumbing contractor must first have added a City of Blaine mechanical license to their current plumbing pro account.  If your plumber installs gas piping during new home and townhome builds, please be proactive to verify they have completed this so your permit process is not delayed.