Utilities Permit - Sewer and Water
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account/PRO
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
The following documents need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
- Plans and Job Specifications
Hard Copy Delivery
Along with uploading PDFs of plans and required submittals, two (2) full-size hard copies of all submittals are also required prior to plan review.
Deliver/mail hard copies of plans and other submittals to:
Blaine City Hall
Attn: Building Inspections
10801 Town Square Drive NE
Blaine MN 55449
Please include a cover sheet with the following information:
- Permit Number (B20-00xx)
- Project Address (if known)
- Contact Information
Please note that any additional submittals of revisions must be by both hard copy and PDF upload into the IMS permit.
Are you a new user?
Create an Account
Contractors applying for a permit on behalf of a homeowner must setup a User Account and then a Pro Account.
Homeowners doing your own work may setup a User account only.New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Creating a New User in iMS and iMS Tips
Having trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available:
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
Creating a Pro Account in iMS
Having trouble creating a PRO account? Detail instructions are available:
- When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
- Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, the name of contractor doing the work is needed.
Login to IMS Account and go to your dashboard.
On your Dashboard, go to My Inspections.
- A list of required inspections can be viewed along with the instructions on how to schedule.
- How many sets of plans are required for permit submittal?
- Do plans need original signatures or are electronic signatures okay?
- Do plans need to be embossed by an architect and engineer?
- What is the current review period for drawings?
- What is the current review period for responses to the building department comments?
- Is express plan review available?
- Do permit drawings need to be submitted to any additional departments such as the Fire Marshal, State Review, etc.?
- Is a demolition permit available prior to the building permit?
- Does a general contractor need to be awarded prior to submittal for permit?
- Does the general contractor and/or subcontractor’s company name need to be entered in the permit application for the submittal to be accepted and plan review to begin?
- Once the general contractor is awarded for new building and addition permits, how are they added as the responsible party/applicant for the permit?
- Are insurance certificates or bonds required at the time of submittal? If so, by whom?
- Are separate applications required by the subcontractors? If so, by whom?
- Is landlord approval required for submittal? If so, at permit submittal or at permit issuance?
- Can we receive our permit without the landlord’s work being completed and approved?
- Are low voltage permits required?
- Are low voltage permit applications required at the time of building permit submittal for the release of the building permit?
- Do fire alarm and sprinkler drawings need to be submitted with the building permit application?
- Do the fire protection subcontractors need to prepare drawings, cut sheets, and calculations for building permit submittal?
- Can the submittal be mailed in?
- Can the submittal be made in person?
- Does the building department offer expedited services or work with any specific expeditors?
- Is a plan check fee do at the time of permit submittal?
- Are permit fees due at the time of submittal or permit pick up?
- Are there any additional fees to be aware of?
- What other items may be required prior to the building permit being issued?
- Current building codes being used: