- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account/PRO
- Step 3 - Apply
- Review 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
The following documents(s) need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
- (1) One complete set of plans.
PERMITS FOR STATE PROJECTS NEED TO BE APPLIED FOR THROUGH THE STATE. If this project is a state owned building, a school district project or charter school project, or a state licensed facility such as a nursing home, supervised living facility, hospital, free-standing outpatient surgical center, correctional facility, residential hospice, or boarding care, you must apply to the State of MN for plan review and inspections.
Are you a new user?
Create an Account
Contractors applying for a permit on behalf of a homeowner must setup a User Account and then a Pro Account.
Homeowners doing your own work may setup a User account only.New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Creating a New User in iMS and iMS Tips
Having trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available:
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
Creating a Pro Account in iMS
Having trouble creating a PRO account? Detail instructions are available:
Once you have gathered or emailed the necessary documents, you are ready to begin the online application process.
- When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
- Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, the name of contractor doing the work is needed.
Login to IMS Account and go to your dashboard.
On your Dashboard, go to My Inspections.
- A list of required inspections can be viewed along with the instructions on how to schedule.
- The Plumbing permit will not be issued until the Building Permit has been issued.
- Considering MN Statute 326B.197, only plumbing contractors with a mechanical bond may do work on gas piping (except simple reconnections without new fittings or piping).
- Minn. Stat. 326B.197 summarizes the bond requirement for persons contracting to do gas, heating, ventilation, cooling, air conditioning, fuel burning, or refrigeration work. For these scopes of work, only the $25,000 mechanical bond is required, there is no license for mechanical/HVAC work in Minnesota. However, the City of Blaine has a mechanical license that requires a mechanical bond, proof of insurance and a $70.00 fee.