Can I get a variance?

Minnesota State Statutes Section §462.357, Subd. 6(2) and Zoning Ordinance Section 27.06 (a)  require that practical difficulties be demonstrated in order for a variance to be granted. Practical difficulties means that a property owner proposes to use the property in a reasonable manner not permitted by the zoning ordinance; the plight of the landowner is due to circumstances unique to the property not created by the landowner. Personal and economic situations are not considered valid practical difficulties.  Please refer to the Practical Difficulties Worksheet (make this a link) to determine if you qualify for a variance, since you are requesting the code variance or exception you have the burden of proving that the variance is justified. 

Show All Answers

1. How do I subdivide my property?
2. Can I have a bigger garage or shed on my property?
3. How do I apply for a conditional use permit?
4. Can I get a variance?
5. How do I apply for a variance?
6. How do I apply for a rezoning and/or a comprehensive land use amendment?
7. What are the setbacks for my property?
8. What is site plan approval and how do I apply for this?
9. Can I have a home occupation?
10. When are Planning Commission and City Council meetings held?
11. How can I find out what new residential and commercial/industrial developments are occurring within the City?
12. Does the City have a list of local contractors or surveyors available?
13. Does the City have a list of all homeowners associations in the City?
14. Does the City have a list of all senior housing developments in the City?
15. Does the City have a list of all apartment rental housing available within the City?
16. Does the City have any financial assistance available for starting a new business?